Call us on 0345 8728722

PRC Rugby power their way to historic National Cup Final

Our rugby team travelled to Myerscough College, the Sale Sharks Academy, Preston Lanarkshire (April 25th) in the AOC National Cup Semi Final. Previously, we reached the Plate Final in May 2011 but this is the first time we have ever progressed to the main competition final. After a gruelling 4 hour journey in two mini buses we were blessed by sunshine and fantastic facilities.

Match report:
The game started with Myerscough moving the ball with ease from receiving the kick off and scored out wide after a couple of minutes. PRC were shell shocked and keen to get the ball and impose their physical game. The forwards attacked the fringes where PRC were the strongest and made positive yards on every take. Myerscough were being driven back and kept infringing the back foot and were caught eventually which led to PRC’s Connor Porter slotting 3 points from the 22m line. PRC raised the intensity with a hard pressing defence that suffocated Myerscough which caused a number of handling errors which allowed the beefy PRC pack to impose themselves again and again in the set piece. PRC began to find holes tight and wide which allowed impact runners to find their game. PRC’s No.8 Alexander Livingston kept making 20m-30m every time he picked up from the base of the scrum and Myerscough had no answer which then finally led to him going over for PRC’s first try of the game (8-7 to PRC). The pack were now fired up and wanting to keep the ball tight which led to another try a few minutes later with flanker Tim Moore powering over from the relentless try line pressure PRC maintained (13-7 PRC). Just before the interval Myerscough finally kept the ball through some very slick phases and their backline broke the pressure defence to go under for 7 points (13-12 PRC).

PRC now had the wind and had their tails up and were keen to stick to the game plan of moving the ball tight until Myerscough could stop it. Hooker Mo Gaibee went over as the pack were continuing their power game with tight pods making ground every time. Finally after a brutal encounter winger Ronan Rawlins made an amazing cover tackle after tracking his player from the half way line to put him down 5m from PRC’s line which allowed captain Tanaka Kanhukamwe to run all the way under the posts for the final play of the game. PRC win 27-13.

Coach Lewis Capes said “What an amazing win by the boys. They played with their hearts on their sleeves and were so physical. This was PRC rugby of old good old smash mouth stuff. I am very proud of these guys and now we go to the final on 9th May at Moseley RFC, Birmingham, to face either Exeter College or the College of Richard Collyer (Sussex).”

Published April 2018.