Heavy Vehicle Service and Maintenance Technician Advanced (L3) Apprenticeship Standard
Type: Full Time
Subject: Engineering and Motor Vehicle
Start Date: Please contact the Information Centre for start date information
Fee: Please contact the Information Centre for fee information
Who is it for
APPLICATIONS FOR 2019/20 NOW OPEN!
If you already have an employer and wish to apply for the Apprenticeship Course Click Apply Now!
Apprentices earn a wage and work alongside experienced staff to gain job–specific skills. Off the job training is on a day–release basis, apprentices receive training to work towards nationally recognised qualifications.
Anyone living in England, over 16 and not in full–time education can apply.
Interview Skills Assessment
All candidates will be invited to an interview with the Apprenticeship Recruitment Officers and will take part in an assessment.
What will I need
Entry requirements of 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 and above. A suitable supportive employer who will guide you through your apprenticeship. Vacancies are advertised on our website – https://www.peterborough.ac.uk/apprenticeships/apprenticeship–vacancies/
What is covered
A Heavy Vehicle (HV) technician services, inspects and repairs HVs, categorised by the Department of Transport as category N2 or N3, and associated trailers, with the associated ancillaries. You could work in either a dealership that focusses on a particular manufacturer, or for an independent garage, franchise or large fleet operator that deals with many different makes of vehicles. You will work on all the systems found within the vehicle. The nature of the work ranges from replacing simple parts through to solving complex faults with the use of diagnostic methods and equipment. The day–to–day tasks faced by the technician are constantly changing, driven by the introduction of ever more complex technologies and diagnostic techniques.
As an apprentice you will learn:
– HV engineering principles – including vehicle applications, configurations, designs, diagnostics, technologies and vehicle testing standards and maintenance schedules
– HV engineering practices – including inspecting, servicing, maintaining vehicles and trailers, quality checks and roadside assistance
– Using engineering tools and equipment – including hand and power tools, engineering and technical manuals and diagnostic and electrical measuring equipment
– Team working – including effective written and verbal communication skills, working as part of a team and taking ownership and responsibility when required
– Health and safety standards and legislation within a bus and coach environment – including Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) and operator licensing requirements
Apprentices are expected to attend college for 1 day a week as part of 20% off–the–job training. Additional off–the–job training hours are expected to be completed within the workplace.
How is the course assessed
Coursework, exams and practical observations with an End Point Assessment.
What can this course lead to
On completing the course learners will be eligible to apple for for registration as an Engineering Technician with a relevant professional body. On completion and achievement of the standard, candidates will have the opportunity to progress to Master Technician, management or to develop in their current role.
Are there any additional costs
Learners may need to purchase uniform and/or equipment depending on the employer.
A motor vehicle apprentice could expect to work within garage setting, working with customers and possible be on call to assist broken down vehicles. Your working environment can be noisy and dirty. Late night and weekend work will be expected to accommodate business needs. You will need to think about how you will travel to your work place and any costs this may incur.
An employed status Apprentice will:
• Earn a wage – the national minimum wage for Apprentices is £3.90 an hour, for under 19 year olds and for over 19s in their first year of Apprenticeship although many of Apprentices earn more than this
• Get paid holidays
• Receive training