Light Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Principles Level 3
Type: Full Time
Subject: Engineering and Motor Vehicle
Start Date: 06 September 2021
Fee: Please contact the Information Centre for fee information
Who is it for
This qualification is designed to provide the learner with advanced automotive
skills to take their career to the next level.
Interview Skills Assessment
You will be required to attend a Welcome Event, details will be provided upon application.
What will I need
Level 2 in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles (or equivalent). Or 4 GCSEs at grade 4/C or above and must include maths.
What is covered
This Level 3 course focuses on complex system fault diagnosis and advanced
systems operation, i.e. faults that involve the interaction of more than one
vehicle system and require an in–depth knowledge to enable accurate diagnosis to
The course also covers a combination of technology and workshop–based learning
• Advanced braking, steering and suspension systems
• Advanced engine operations and fault diagnosis
• Advanced transmission systems and fault diagnosis
• Auxiliary systems and complex fault finding techniques
How is the course assessed
Typical assessment methods include:
• Tests, involving short and long answer questions
• Report, reviews, and case studies
• Practical exercises, involving oral and written reports
• Practical assignments (assessed for process, as well as product)
• End of unit multiple choice question paper
What can this course lead to
Possible employment in the motor industry. Further study at a higher level*.
Acquired transferable skills to other engineering areas.
*Additional qualifications may be required for progression to higher education.
Are there any additional costs
You will need to supply your own overalls and safety shoes or boots, along with sufficient stationery for class work.