Applied Science Level 2
Type: Full Time
Start Date: 02 September 2019
Fee: Please contact the Information Centre for fee information
Who is it for
This practical course is ideal for school–leavers who are interested in a career in bioscience, environmental science, food technology, forensic science, quality control and research, analytical science or education. You will develop your skills and interest in science and learn practical skills as well as the related theory.
Interview Skills Assessment
You will be required to attend a Welcome Event – details will be provided upon application.
What will I need
You will need 4 GCSEs at grade D/3 or above including English, maths and science or Applied Science Level 1.
What is covered
Mandatory units will include:
• Unit 1: Principles of science
• Unit 2: Chemistry and our earth
• Unit 3: Energy and our universe
• Unit 4: Biology and our environment
• Unit 5: Applications of chemical substances
• Unit 6: Applications of physical science
• Unit 7: Health applications of life science
• Unit 8: Scientifi c skills
Additionally there are several optional units covered:
• Unit 12: The living body
• Unit 16: Science in medicine
• Unit 19: Chemical analysis and detection
• Unit 20: Exploring our universe
How is the course assessed
Two mandatory units will be externally assessed by examination. All other units will be continually assessed throughout the course, consisting of a variety of coursework assignments involving practical tasks and written work. Students need to be organised with their coursework completion in order to meet strict deadlines.
What can this course lead to
You can progress on to a qualifi cation such as the Applied Science Level 3 in
forensics or biomedical or other Level 3 qualifications such as health studies, IT,
electronics, engineering or an Access Diploma.