Applied Science Level 1
Type: Full Time
Start Date: 02 September 2019
Fee: Please contact the Information Centre for fee information
Who is it for
This science course is ideal for school–leavers who are interested in a career in bioscience, environmental science, food technology, forensic science, quality control and research, analytical science or education.
You will develop your skills and interest in science and learn practical skills as well as the related theory. The course will also develop your use of English and maths along with communication and teamwork.
Interview Skills Assessment
You will be required to attend a Welcome Event – details will be provided upon application.
What will I need
No formal qualifi cations are required to study at this level.
What is covered
Students study four mandatory core skills units which are:
• Unit 1: Being organised
• Unit 2: Developing a personal progression plan
• Unit 3: Working with others
• Unit 4: Researching a topic
Science units will include a combination of biology, chemistry, physics and forensics subjects: (subject to change)
• Unit 6: Carrying out a scientifi c experiment
• Unit 7: Identifying variation in plants and animals
• Unit 8: Measuring waves used in technology
• Unit 10: Making a useful product
• Unit 11: Cause of disease
• Unit 12: Investigating crime scene evidence
What can this course lead to
On successful completion of this course and the achievement of English and maths at grade D/3 or equivalent Functional Skills you can progress on to Applied Science Level 2 and then on to Applied Science Level 3 or an Access to HE course.