Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance Level 1
Type: Part Time
Subject: Engineering and Motor Vehicle
Start Date: 02 September 2019
34 weeks Monday, 9am – 5pm
Who is it for
This course is designed for students who are undertaking an Apprenticeship with a Technical Certificate, or anyone who wishes to develop occupational knowledge and progress into the motor industry. Level 1 focuses on basic operating principles, systems operation and foundation skills.
Interview Skills Assessment
Yes – An informal interview is required with the tutor before joining this course.
What will I need
Assessed on an individual basis by interview. Priority will be given to anyone currently working in the motor industry.
What is covered
A combination of technology and workshop–based learning, Level 1 focuses on basic operating principles, systems operation, and foundation skills. Modules may include:
• Working Safely & Effectively
• Foundation Skills
• Vehicle Construction and Routine Maintenance
• Operating Principles of Tyres, Brakes, Steering, and Suspension Systems
• Operating Principles of Engines
• Operating Principles & Maintenance of Transmission Systems
• Operating Principles of Electrical and Electronic Systems
How is the course assessed
Typical assessment methods include:
• Tests, involving short and long answer questions
• Open–ended and long answer questions
• Report, reviews, and case studies
• Practical exercises, involving oral and written reports
• Practical assignments (assessed for process, as well as product)
• End of unit multiple–choice question online exams
Where will the course take place
What can this course lead to
Progression is available through level 1 to level 3 and Apprenticeship programmes.
Are there any additional costs
Stationery, drawing instruments, calculator and personal protective equipment for practical work.
Maximum Number of Students